Maple Leafs in Vancouver


The Leafs visit GM Place this Saturday, and I will be there watching. Since moving to Vancouver in 1994 I have been to probably two-thirds of the games when my Leafs visit. I must say, it`s always an exciting atmosphere when the hated Leafs come to town.
The first game I went to was perhaps the most heart-breaking for me as it was the game that ended any Stanley Cup hopes of the Leafs in 1994. May 24, 1994 was the date that Greg Adams scored the overtime winner against Felix Potvin to send the Nucks to the finals aginst the Rangers.

Since that game, the Leafs have visited Vancouver 21 times and somewhat surprisingly, Toronto has a record of 10-7-4 even thought Vancouver has outscored them 79-74.
It seems that when the Canucks do beat the Leafs at GM Place, it`s usually by a large margin which makes my viewing experience all the less pleasurable. Vancouver has won by scores of 7-3, 4-1, 5-2 and 6-1 and has won the last two meetings at home by 4-3 and 4-2 scores. When the Leafs win here in Van City it`s most often a close contest. After a 6-2 win in March of 1996, all nine wins since have been by two goals or less (7 of the wins are one goal margins).
It used to be that the Buds would make two trips out to the coast every season, but thanks to Gary and his unbalanced schedule that hasn`t happened for six seasons. I was a little shocked to realize that this week`s game will be only the third trip here since November of 2003.

Anyway, I shall be there this weekend in my full Leaf regalia sitting beside my friend who is a Canuck fan. As I said, its usually an interesting night, either way the game goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"