Jacques Marcotte, So Close to the Show until Tragedy Struck

A couple years back I wrote about the minor league domination of the IHL's Cincinnati Mohawks and their terrific French Canadian goaltenders. http://nitzyshockeyden.blogspot.ca/2010/04/french-goalies-of-cincinnati.html?showComment=1339716126081

Just this last month I received a comment on that article from the daughter of one of those fine goaltenders, Jacques Marcotte. She mentioned that her father had indeed made it to the NHL, contrasting the information I had found. Well, her father did indeed get the call up to the big time and got just about as close as one could get to playing in the NHL before tragedy struck.

The 1957/58 Toronto Maple Leafs were a poor squad and would finish the season sixth and last place with a record of 21-38-11. By February 23, 1958 in fifth place and six points shy of a playoff spot, the Leafs attempted to change their luck with a change in the nets.  Ed Chadwick had played every game in net for the Leafs when Jacques Marcotte was obtained from New York Rangers that day. The Leafs gave up $5,000, the rights to ex-Toronto Marlboro star Bill Kennedy and a player to be named later. 22 year-old Marcotte had been named Rookie of the Year and 2nd Team All-Star the previous season with the Trois-Rivieres Lions of the QHL.

Coach Billy Reay planned to insert Marcotte on Feb. 27 in Montreal against the Canadiens. During his very first practice with Leafs at Maple Leaf Gardens on Feb 25, Jacques Marcotte was hit under the right eye by a puck shot by rookie Frank Mahovlich, and his start was given back to Chadwick who would play as usual, losing to Les Habitants 4-1. Chadwick and the Leafs lost their final 8 games of the schedule to solidify their last place finish.

By the end of April , 1958 it was reported in a Quebec newspaper that Marcotte had regained only 40% of his eyesight and even he admitted his playing career may be over. He was quoted, "Hockey has been my life and everything looked promising until the accident." Indeed, his career had been promising prior to the accident. What would have happened if young Marcotte had played and performed well down the stretch for Toronto? On June 3, 1958, just over three months after aquiring Marcotte, the Leafs would claim Johnny Bower from Cleveland Barons of the AHL, a player 10 years Marcotte's senior.
After two years away from the game, with his eyesight improved enough to play, Marcotte joined coach Fred Shero with the St.Paul Saints of the IHL. He posted a 2.97 goals against average in 69 games and led the Saints to the Turner Cup championship. Marcotte played three additional seasons in the International League before retiring after the 1963/64 season.

Jacques Marcotte would return to Grand-Mere, Quebec with his Minnesota born wife and ran a successful Pepsi-Cola franchise until his death due to a brain tumor in June 1994 at age 59.





Comments

frankly said…
As I young kid I attended St. Paul Saints games & Marcotte was my idol. I met him once & he seemed like a good guy but I lost track of him when we moved. Always wondered what his story was, sad to hear both his career and his life week too short. That Life photo of Sawchuck made me think to google Jacques.
Thanks for the info
Mick Miller said…
Just like Hockey Den, I too remember Jacques "The Cat" Marcotte from his days with the Saint Paul Saints. He'd have your heart in your throat when he'd come flying out of the net to intercept a puck at the blue line...and beyond! Many times I saw him out stickhandle some attacking forward.

There was a wild game in Minneapolis with the much hated Minneapolis Millers. A wild affair that found The Cat ejected from the game. A teammate told me years later that he was so incensed, he had to be locked in the lockerroom! In those days, they only had one goalie and recruited a teenage kid from the stands to fill in. The true blue Saints fans stood and sang the team song When The Saints Go Marching In. They almost pulled off but the Saints lost by 1.

Jacque was worth the price of admission alone! Rest in Peace my friend.
Nitzy said…
Thanks for sharing your memories!
Tom Vos said…
I grew up in Muskegon, Michigan and of course a fan of the Muskegon Zephyrs. We had Jimmy McCloud as our goalie and every game when St Paul came to town, our Dad got tickets because my brothers and I wanted to see Jacques Marcotte and Jimmy McCloud battle it out. I think it was 1961 or 1962 when Muskegon defeated St Paul in the championship Turner Cup finals. Loved watching Jacques Marcotte play and I became a goalie in the local leagues, like everyone, wanting to eventually see my name on the Stanley Cup. My eyesight went bad and with only the 'Original 6,' in the NHL, there were no goalie masks at the NHL level. But I recall Jacques Marcotte wearing one for every game. Jimmy McCloud called me 'the next Zephyr goalie.' Little did he know that I was copying Jacques Marcotte! Sad to read about his passing at such an early age. What a gift he was for us kids to watch, even from an opposing team standpoint.
Mick Miller said…
Actually, there was a masked goalie in the "old days". Jacques Plante played for Montreal and I've heard Jacques Marcotte got his mask through Plante
missdualcitz said…
MY GOOD FRIEND FORD NICHOLSON SUGGEST I join this group ,as I did spend (and still do) many years in St Paul.Yesterday,Oct 7th,was the first time I went to the page.I have to admit that all your comments made me laugh, and yes cry .THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS,it warmed my heart more than you know!
missdualcitz said…
! miss my Papa every day.(Jacques Marcotte) you all cheered me up.It was the first time I opened the "st Paul"page,and to my amazement there was a picture of the SAINTS and my babyface Dad.My son played goalie also.He is 27,and still plays for fun.(halted by virus) You cannot imagine how I wish my papa would of came to the games with me.
I did get to enjoy going (he and I) in June 1993 to see the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup.
Nick L said…
What number was Jacque for the St.Paul Fighting Saints? I saw a picture with him as number 16. I was going to get a jersey made for my dad. He was one of his idols when he was a kid.
Unknown said…
Back in the early 60's as a young teenager I was a huge Saints fan and , living a few miles away from the St Paul Auditorium attended as many games as I could. My dad growing up used to work at the Auditorium and still had many friends who still worked there and would allow us to stand rinkside next to the end boards for the third period for a closeup view of the action. Jacques was my favorite player;fearless, daring,fiesty, he just drew the home crowds in. I remember watching a televised game versus the hated Minneapolis Millers, a game that ended in a free for all during which Jacques slugged a referee, an act that even in the free wheeling IHL was frowned upon and resulted in his suspension.
Unknown said…
Jacques Marcotte, "The Cat". Loved watching him play along with side some pretty talented IHL guys, especially Jarrin John Bailey. The games against the Minneapolis Millers were the most exciting. Bitter rivals and The Cat was at his very best. Seen all the games in the sixties, in St Paul and to Mpls for more action, I adored Jacques as a goalie. Catlike reflexes was his specialty as he did the splits for a breathtaking kick out. He'd styled his play after Plante, vacating the net often to face a rushing forward toward his net. It was so exciting, and his temper was the same. Seen Jacques battling the big boys, who violated him in his crease. It didnt matter who he'd fight. He particularly disliked Ken Yackel of the Millers. Seen him take his "big stick"and challenge anyone. Stick fighting was very common back in the 60's. I had a seamstress make me a Jacques Marcotte authentic look jersey, MARCOTTE
is on the nameplate even tho they didnt have nameplates then. Im very proud of that and get looks around St Paul from other old Saints fans today. I still wonder how he would of placed himself "if" he would have made it to the NHL. I in my heart think he would be right up there competing against Plante, Sawchuk, Hall, Worsely !!!! A A The Vezina Trophy with Jacques Marcottes name engraved on it. Very pssible!

Jacques, Thanks for the Memories. Charley Brandt


Charley Brandt said…
Jacques number was #1. He was the #1 goalie in my life too.

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"