Vintage Hockey Toys and Games

1962 Hockey Card Game
I recently noticed that I have a fair amount of vintage hockey themed games in my collection, figured I'd put them all together in a post. Above is a really neat boxed card game I picked up at the Vancouver Flea Market. It's dated 1962 from Walker Press Canada and pictures generic "Blue" and "Red" teams, with very cool artwork.
The next one I got from the same dealer at the flea market but have very little information about it. It is a tin ice surface with small plastic sticks. I think it was some kind of "flick" game played with a small disc. It has to be from the 1960's at the latest and could date back as far as the 50's. It's labelled "another SUPERIOR TOY by T. Cohn". This company made many different tin games and toys in the throughout the first half of the twentieth century. 
Next is one of my favourite things in my collection, a Toronto Maple Leafs colouring book from 1964. It's in pretty much mint condition with no colouring done inside. Also shown is the page of Dave Keon, just asking for some crayon, must...resist.
Okay, maybe the NEXT one is one of my favourites. I grabbed this beauty at a garage sale and it's been hanging on my den wall ever since. It's a Munro Games wooden table-hockey game from 1948. This was one of the very first ever table-hockey games ever produced and uses little pegs for "players". Check out the beautifully woven net. Fantastic.
I got these fairly recently off a local Vancouver dealer, "Hockey Action Replay" rub-off games. Anyone who grew up in the 1970's or early 80's will remember this fad of rub-off transfers, where you could create your own scene on an open canvas with a simple scratch of a coin. These were released for every comic book, T.V. show and even Star Wars, and could be bought usually at your local pharmacy or toy store. Only thing is, once they were applied, the transfer was permanent. These ones are pristine, again...must...resist...urge.
Finally, I have two different version of metal table-hockey players. I don't have the actual game rinks that these were used on, there is only so much room in the den. The first are from the 1960's and the second are I believe late 50's with the skater having an actual plastic stick. Cool stuff.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Those games are very cool. I bought a battery-operated vintage hockey game off of ebay over 15 years ago, in it's original box (the box was a little worn, but the game was in good condition other than missing one small light bulb). Any idea where you would go to get these games assessed for price?
Nitzy said…
Is it the Coleco Head to Head hockey game? In the box, those are worth 80 to 100 dollars.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wayne Frazer said…
How many cards does your Walker AS card game have? I have one and it has 19 reds and 19 blues plus one English and one French instruction card and a little rink trifold. Thanks!
Nitzy said…
Same here Wayne. Great looking set!
Bakar Melikov said…
I have played this game card for a while, at least 20 years have passed.
Unknown said…
I just bought the 1962 Walker AS card game today. My set also includes 19 of each card. I am thinking that was the original total. My logic is: 4 lines, 3 pairs of defensemen, and a goalie. That adds up to 19 cards per team.

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"