Nitzy's Hockey Den Maple Leafs All-Time Teams; Pre and Post 1960

Yesterday TSN revealed their All-Time Maple Leafs franchise team. They had three major stipulations; one player had to be from the current roster, one line had be a checking line and one defence pair had to be shutdown. They also allowed for a Foundational Player as a sort of wildcard slot. TSN's team was selected by a combination of Bob McKenzie, Craig Button and Steve Dryden, Senior Managing Hockey Editor of TSN. 
Naturally, the day before TSN released their list, I did mine. It turns out great minds think alike. The first team below is from TSN, the second was mine chosen the day before.
We had the EXACT same 13 forwards, both opting to not include Darryl Sittler or Doug Gilmour. The goalies were obvious matches. We only differed on two defencemen. Not bad at all. 
Soon after I tweeted my squad, I received a direct message from TSN hockey guru Craig Button and began chatting with him. He was relaying to me the comments from his boss Steve Dryden. Dryden was amazed that my team was as similar to his yet-unreleased team. Craig told me that Steve wanted to chat, of course I agreed. Monday morning, just before TSN released their team, I got a call from Steve Dryden. He was very complimentary and we had a great chat for about 20 minutes, we even started discussing the upcoming Canucks All-Time squad since I have lived in this market for over 25 years (I'll do that one later this week). 
Anyway, that was a treat. I'm pretty sure I now have a "text buddy" in Craig Button, so that's cool. That brings me to today's project. After TSN's team was released, Button was fielding replies and comments on twitter all day. During one of his exchanges he made a comment that perhaps to include more contemporary players, the Leafs All-Time team could be split into two teams; before and after 1960/61. So, shall we? 
Since I had the All-Time team done, I had a good starting point to split it into two era-specific squads. If the player made my initial squad, they had a spot on the split squad. I removed the caveat of having a current player on the team simply because the pre-1960 team would not have one. This meant no Auston Matthews, there was still too many Centres in the post-1960 era. I also had no games minimum criteria, as the early year players had far less games on the schedule.
Tim Horton and George Armstrong appear on both teams as their careers nicely straddled the cut-off point of 1960. The old-time team gets the entire Kid Line of Primeau, Conacher and Jackson as well as some pre-Maple Leafs Reg Noble, Babe Dye and Harry Cameron. On the post-1960 team, we finally get to include Sittler and Gilmour. We also get to use another Leaf fan-favourite Paul Henderson. The closest to a contemporary player is Bryan McCabe on D. I thought about using Matthews as a Foundational Player, but Armstrong and his 11 seasons and 4 Cups in this era are too much to ignore.
My last cuts from these teams were:
Pre-1960
G Harry Lumley
D Bill Barilko, Wally Stanowski
LW Sweeney Schriner, C Max Bentley, RW Ace Bailey

Post-1960
G Curtis Joseph
D Bob Baun, Jim McKenny
LW Darcy Tucker, C Norm Ullman, RW Gary Leeman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"