50 Years Ago in the WHA, August 1972



Fifty years ago this month, the upstart World Hockey Association was finalizing plans to go up against he long-established National Hockey League. What follows are a few news-making items from August of 1972.

Clarence Campbell, WHA Won't Last a Year.

"This is an economic battle, and we are being wounded very seriously." Clarence Campbell, Aug. 14, 1972, Globe and Mail.

Despite the fact that Campbell believes the WHA-NHL bidding feud could have been far worse. "In fact, I'm glad that they are starting their operation this season. Another year of talking before they got rolling would have been more expensive. And if this is an economic confrontation, the surest way for them to fail is to get started. My personal opinion is that the WHA won't last a year."Campbell figured that the addition of Nick Miletti's Cleveland (Crusaders) franchise was a major plus for th e new league. Miletti turned to the WHA after his application for an NHL franchise was turned down. "I would think the money he paid to the WHA came at a critical time, when the league needed money badly to get Bobby Hull. I don't think they would have got Hull without Miletti."

Bruins Owner Tells Sanderson to Take the Money

"This is the greatest opportunity ever given me and I couldn't turn it down. I gave Boston every opportunity and they couldn't meet the Philadelphia figure." Derek Sanderson, after he agreed to a $2.6-million contract with the Philadelphia Blazers. Aug. 4, 1972, Globe and Mail. 

Speaking about Bruins owner, Weston Adams, he said,"He treated me fairly, but when he heard the figure Philadelphia was offering he told me, 'If the money is there, I must tell you, not as an owner but as a friend, you have to take it.'"

Hull Wishes Team Canada Good Luck

"I've definitely been disallowed to play. I feel disappointed that I can't represent my country."- Bobby Hull, Aug. 10, 1972, Globe and Mail. 

Hull said he received an apologetic telegram three days ago from Team Canada coach Harry Sinden. "He's sorry I couldn't play." Hull added, "Knowing the NHL and the way they operate, I was a little leery when Harry asked me to play. He said there was no problem. I wish 'em all the luck in the world. I hope they can make it. I hope they win big."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"