Homemade Gretzky Rookies

I found this old ad in an Oilers program from 1979/80. It features a great photo of Wayne Gretzky during the WHA days that I have not seen before.

Since it's such a good image of Gretzky from his pre-NHL career, I decided to use it to make a couple of cards that never were. First, I created a card from the 1978/79 O-Pee-Chee set that was famous for having Mike Bossy's rookie card. OPC did not produce a WHA set this year after having done so since the rebel league began. In my version, the company made a special exemption for Gretzky as he had not even played a game yet in the pros. In my world, the set was issued in January of 1979, long enough for OPC to get a photo of Gretz as an Oiler following his trade from Indianapolis (perhaps I'll make an alternate version of the card in his Indy uniform).


I also made a card using the template from the final WHA set issued in 1977/78, of course Wayner would not have been an Oiler yet, but I like the look of that set and figured I'd try it out.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"