1957 Copp Clark NHL Board Game, Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens

Check out this gem that I picked up at the flea market this past weekend. It was prominently displayed by my regular dealer who has a permanent set-up at the Vancouver Flea Market. It's one of those items that the second I saw it, I knew I would be walking away with it. I've never seen it before, but what a beauty.
This board game was issued in 1957 by Copp Clark Publishing Company of Canada as a fully licensed game from the NHL. The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens and their logos are wonderfully displayed on the game box lid. The company, Copp Clark can trace it's roots back to 1841 and still exists today solely as a book publisher. Perhaps their most well-known board game was Rummoli, which they created in 1940.
The back of the game board has more great graphics as well as a textured "gator skin" finish. Manufacturers sure put a lot of quality and care into their products in the 1950's. Upon opening the three-panelled game board, the players are met with a hypnotizing checker-patterned hockey rink.
I haven't thoroughly read the rules, but it seems to be a simple dice-rolling game, checker moving game. But in this game, you don't merely move simple checkers. Check out below the fantastic game piece players. Printed on thick cardboard, each of these full-colour, wonderfully designed pieces fit into small puck stands. Each piece is double sided and is a fine example of 50's style design. The amazing thing about the game I purchased, the players have yet to be removed from their original cardboard sheet. As much as I would enjoy punching them out and giving the game a play, these men are staying in the state they are in. I am however considering scanning them and printing it out for a t-shirt.
I certainly was a good day at the flea market!


Comments

Sean Ridgway said…
Oh man what a great find! Awesome idea with the t-shirt. I love those designs. Instant headache though with that checkerboard pattern.

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"