33 Years Ago in Leafland; April 9, 1987

Spring of 1987. The Maple Leafs went on an improbable playoff run. They got to within a game of meeting the mighty Edmonton Oilers in the Campbell Conference Finals. I was a 15 year-old hockey mad kid enjoying the fortunes of my favourite team. What better time than now to look back at this memorable time of my youth and Leafs history.
"I just wanted to shoot the puck in, but as I crossed the blue line I found I had a little speed. Then Charlie (Bourgeois), who was coming out at me, seemed to turn left. I usually go to my left, to the outside, and maybe that fooled him. I went right and just tried to get the shot on goal. But the puck seemed to dip just as it got to the goalie (Millen) and it hit his stick and went in," so described Leafs defenceman Rick Lanz. His goal, halfway through the first overtime period equalized the Norris Division Semifinal at a game each. Lanz continued, "I've had some tough times scoring goals this year, but I'm glad I saved one for this moment. It was a knuckleball. It was not your Rob Ramage slapshot, but I'll take them any way I can. This one is especially sweet." Lanz acquired from Vancouver on December 2, 1986, managed 21 points in 44 Leaf games. With the Canucks, he had two seasons over 50 points and scored 15 and 18 goals in those seasons.
Coach John Brophy said, "I thought we did the little things a lot better tonight. Our penalty-killers were excellent. The series is a long damn way from being over. St. Louis is a great road team."
Toronto may have stolen the game thanks to two missed calls by referee Bob Hall. Around the five-minute mark of the first period, Blues Mark Reed pushed his own rebound over the goal line just before goalie Ken Wregget sprawled and completely obscured the area. Bernie Federko vigorously argued the play to referee Hall. Goal judge Ernie Rucks failed to turn the red light on for about ten seconds and then only to indicate he wanted to chat with the officials. Hall was behind the play, having just crossed the blue line and neither linesmen, John D'Amico or Wayne Forsey saw the play well enough. Wregget himself said, "I kind of had a good idea of what was going on, but I was in the back of the net and things just happened that way." The 'No Goal' call stood.
In addition, Wendel Clark's goal 14 minutes into the third period likely should not have counted. Peter Ihnacak seemed to carry the puck in his hand as he skated through the slot until he spotted an open Todd Gill who relayed it to Clark. "I never squeezed the puck," Ihnacak said after the game,"I didn't close my hand on it. I pushed it beside my body." To that, Blues goalie Greg Miller responded, "Then he has to be a magician. It was obvious he travelled the width of the slot with the puck in his glove. If he didn't close his hand on it there's no doubt about it, he's a magician."Blues coach Jacques Martin exclaimed, "These are things you can't control and they are difficult to overcome."
The Blues definitely missed Mark Hunter on their power play. He took the warmup skate for game two, but his shoulder sprain forced him out. Recently signed Hobey Baker Trophy winner Tony Hrkac dressed for his first NHL action and played a great deal in the second half of the game. The teams will convene Saturday night at Maple Leaf Gardens for game three of the series.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Team Canada 1972, What Might have Been

WHA Ottawa Civics, The Two Week Franchise

Denman Arena, Vancouver - "The Pile"